Wight Woodturners was set up in 2002 to provide a forum for wood turners living on the Isle of Wight to meet on a regular basis to exchange information, enhance their capability, and increase the awareness of wood turning as an art and craft amongst the general public.
In 2005 a Lottery Grant was awarded to the club under the "Awards for All" scheme to enable the club to afford demonstrations by two of the leading woodturners in the UK and to purchase some visual aid equipment including a video camera and digital projector.
Wight Woodturners has up to 40 members with abilities ranging from working and retired professionals to novices. Most, but not all, members own their own woodturning lathe and workshop and a few have quite extensive general woodworking capabilities. The typical output of members includes items for domestic and decorative purposes including bowls, platters, vases, boxes, kitchenware, candlesticks, toys, goblets, lace bobbins, and furniture components such as chair and table legs, and handles.Members normally meet at 7.30pm on the forth Thursday of every month in the hall of the:
1st NEWPORT SCOUTSWENDES HALL,
ISLE OF WIGHT, PO30 1AN
Please click the above postcode for a Google map of the location of the centre.
The yearly club programme usually consists of:-
• Demonstrations by well known woodturning professionals.
• Talks by members and local or visiting experts on woodturning and related subjects.
• "Show and tell" where members bring something they've made and describe the techniques they used to make it.
• The opportunity to use the lathes and discuss problems with fellow members.
• Competitions run throughout the year allowing members to show and pit their work against other members.
As well as the formal activities members meet fellow enthusiasts and share information on tools, techniques, and sources of timber, which may be free.
For the year starting January 2018 the subscription for membership is £30 with an an additional cost of £2 per meeting attended.
The club has a library of woodturning books and DVDs the details which are available to you as a member.